About Jen

So, who is Jen, exactly?

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

Book Review: The Alchemist


This literary gem has left me with...mixed feelings. Upon finishing this work, I felt elated and as though nothing could stop me from accomplishing my dreams! (This is a fantastic goal of literature, by the way.) But, it only lasted a few minutes. Then I got to thinking about what *really* happened in the story.

This is an old tale, which has been told many times over the years, all over the world. Young person has a dream. Young person gives up everything to pursue the dream. Young person is met with challenges. Young person regroups for awhile and decides what was left behind was worth it after all. Young person has an impulsive moment and chases after the dream again.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

This is an encouraging tale that can help one to understand that their treasure may not be in faraway places after all. It's an encouraging tale to keep one's dreams alive and to be aware that the dream may come true in an unexpected manner.

One thing that definitely rubbed me the wrong way in this book is the author's characterization of Fatima. In a story that is supposed to be filled with deep, spiritual meaning, the main character sees a beautiful woman and falls in love with her instantly. She falls in love with him too and basically tells him -- go ahead, follow your dream, and I'll be here pining away for  you-- because that's what desert women do.

Gag me with a spoon. I'll not say more on that topic.

What I like about this book is how it explores the idea of interconnectedness. Of "the universe conspiring to give you what you want." Perhaps because I'm currently in a place of stepping out into new territory, following my own dream, this book came along at an excellent time as if "the universe" was gently whispering to me to go ahead and follow MY dream. An omen of sorts, as is shown throughout the book.

To sum up, I liked this little book. As a fable, as a parable, it neatly accomplishes its purpose. It may be a little too simple to explain the way life actually is-- but isn't that the point of a parable? A simple story to explain a greater truth. A story to give you something to think about.

No comments: